Tuesday, April 14, 2015

2nd Floor Lighting and NVR Update

Much like the previous post, please be aware that these are my sketches and are for impressions.  These aren't specific plans and are just to share the road we took on lighting.


INCLUDED

Included we were again pleased with a number of unexpected items.
Two recessed in the upstairs hall that are also tied to a recessed at the bottom of the stairs - all on a 4-way switch (three switch locations)
One ceiling light in laundry room
Two ceiling lights in master closet
One ceiling light in 2nd bed closet
Ceiling light and exhaust fan in the master toilet area
One recessed over the master shower (reminder that we did the roman shower upgrade)
Exhaust fan in master bath
Vanity lights over both vanities (I believe they are both 3-light) in mater bath
One recessed over bath 1 shower
Exhaust fan in bath 1
Vanity light over the double vanity in bath 1 (I believe this is a 4-light)
Switched outlets in each bedroom including the master/sitting area

The one switched outlet in the sitting area to light the entire master bed is absurd.  I know it meets code, but for all the great inclusions on this house this one seems a bit lacking.



FINAL

Our changes:
Moved the switched outlet in the master to behind where the headboard will go (for lamps, etc)
Moved the switched outlet in bed 2 to the front wall (for decorations in the windows)
Added one ceiling light with switch in the sitting area
Added ceiling fan rough in to master bed (and will add some recessed lights after we move in)
Added ceiling fan rough in to each of the other three beds (Bed 2 will definitely need additional lighting, but 3 and 4 may get away with just the fans)


After we close, I'll be hooking in a control/automation system with smart switches all around the home.  We upgraded to Decora outlets throughout the house but not the switches.  We didn't do the switches because we'll be swapping in plenty of dimmer switches along with the smart switches.  In the end, the entire house will be Decora in one fashion or another.


We are installing plenty of low voltage items, but I'm not going to do a ton of detail on here until after we wire it.  I have the fortunate circumstance of owning a professional audio/video integration company and we work in new construction all the time.  I put my company through NVR's compliance program so that I will be allowed to work on the site and install various LV items on my own (speaker runs, TV runs, cat6, coax, automation lines, network surveillance runs, etc).  If you're not a professional in this regard, I wouldn't recommend pursuing this track.  It is very expensive in regards to insurance a company needs to carry and would likely outweigh the cost of paying Guardian or the electricians to do this work for you.  Lucky for me we already carry that insurance and have a solid reputation in this market - so we are going to add quite a bit of technology to our home.

As another note here, Guardian isn't all that big in Central NY.  ADT is the big player in town with Time Warner and others being second.  There is apparently one Guardian rep located about 150miles from us and he works through the electricians so he doesn't need to travel much.  We never met him, but the appointment wouldn't have been very valuable to us considering their pricing, the five year commitment, and the fact that I represent a variety of security companies with my business.

-----

I received a surprise phone call today from our NVR rep.  She let me know our loan was approved!  While we were on the phone I heard the email notification come through from the processor with our commitment letter as well.  Great stuff!

8 comments:

  1. How cool that you are going to be able to coordinate with NVR with your own company and do your own wiring! That's going to be awesome. I cannot wait to see what you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife and I are still planning exactly what we want, but it would be great if our house was able to be a bit of a model for some of our higher-end prospective customers. Have them over for a quick tour and show them what we installed, etc.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with the build. We are currently building a Bateman model outside of Columbus, Ohio, and as you know, there is not alot of online information about such a new model. Our home is now under roof, with the plumbing and electrical complete this week. Good luck with your build!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      That's great to hear! We're excited about this plan and can't wait to get through the process.
      Are you keeping track of your build anywhere? I'd love to see some pictures.
      Thanks.

      Delete
    2. William,
      I'm just trying my hand at blogging about our progress and put up some exterior progress pictures today (our first post!) ... please feel free to take a look.
      http://ourbuckeyeabode.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  3. William,

    I have a friend that works for an AV installer and he's offered to help with running the LV wiring for our house. What is the name of the insurance that your company carries for doing residential work. I would like to ask my buddy if their company carries it so we can deal with them (and their lower prices).

    I am also working on a blog for our Bateman in Ohio. If you would help out and post my site to your wonderful blog that would be fantastic. http://ohbuildabateman.blogspot.com/ Thank you for the wonderful detail and window into the building experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan,

      I use State Farm for all of our coverages - they are by far the most competitive on price for me.

      NVR requires standard general liability, workers comp, commercial auto, and employer liability coverages. They also require two additional riders for their additional insured status. Your SR can provide you with the new vendor paperwork that describes all of this in detail.

      I'll add your blog to the list. I look forward to seeing your build!

      Delete
  4. You should select your outdoor lighting after all the other decoration tasks are completed and the outdoor space is fully furnished. After the tasks are completed, you will have a better idea of the types of lights you need and where to place them. The decorative lights are perfect for the outdoor space and you will have plenty of styles and designs to choose from. Wall sconces

    ReplyDelete